You might have visited to several beaches across the world. But, have you ever heard of black beaches? There is no joke here! When you travel to Iceland, there is marvelously scenic region called Reynisfjara, where the natural color of the sand is black. You would witness black beaches, the only ones in the whole world.
Choosing the right tour package
Before going to Reynisfjara, the obvious thing is booking your place ticket to Iceland. Make you base at the capital Reykjavik. Discover, a reputed travel agency, plans customized Iceland Tours for global travel enthusiasts at affordable pricing package. Availing one of those would be a wise decision.
Location of Reynisfjara
- The place is located about 180 km away from Reykjavik.
- If you are thinking about the right transport, then a rented vehicle would the perfect mode for you.
- It is convenient and reliable. It is cheap, too.
- While exploring South Coast of the country in Iceland Tours, Reynisfjara is one of the most prominent stops.
- It would take you near about 3 hours to reach there, depending on weather conditions.
- Among hundreds of non-tropical beaches across the worlds, the black beach of Reynisfjara has been consistently ranked.
Folklore associated with the beach
Every place has a story behind it. Reynisfjara is not an exception. When you reach the place, you would immediately see enormous basalt columns at the beach. There are mystic sea stacks off the jagged shoreline. They are called Reynisdrangar.
The folklore goes by this – the huge basalt columns were powerful trolls in the ancient ages. They used to pull out ships stuck in the ocean during nights. In one of those instances, dawn broke and the first sunlight turned them into stones. The structures are imposingly unique and exquisite marvels of nature.
Seabirds at Reynisfjara sea stacks
Are you a bird-lover? Even if you are not, you will be one, after witnessing thousands of difference species of birds at the sea stacks of Reynisfjara.
- Lots of seabirds nest here.
- You can spot puffin if you visit during March and April.
- There are also beautiful fulmars. Spotting guillemots is also a common activity of tourists.
- Reynisfjara is one of the most impressive sites for bird-watching.
- Don’t forget to carry a high-definition camera in order to capture the patterned fight and the perch of these magnificent birds in several hundreds.
Some surrounding sites
You would be delighted to know that Reynisfjara is located at a very strategic place in South Coast. The picturesque village, Vik, is in its vicinity. You simply need to drive along the famous Ring Road, to reach there. The lovely glacier lagoon by the name Jokulsarlon is also nearby.
Coming across other tourist spots
If you are traveling to Reynisfjara for the first time, you would be sweetly surprised by Seljalandsfoss waterfalls en route. Also, you would come across the captivating Eyjafjallajökull glacier. Driving past Reynisfjara would take you to Nature Reserve at Skaftafell.
Book a tour package
Explore various tour packages and book one, suiting your needs.